Sweet & Spicy Rugelach
Sweet & Spicy R. T. H. Rugelach
yield: 32 cookies
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
total time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese (cold, cubed)
- 2 sticks butter (cold, cubed)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg yolk (beaten)
- Powdered sugar for rolling ( I love Dixie Crystals for this!)
Hot Pepper Jelly filling
- 1/2 cup original R. T. H. pepper jelly
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup pistachios (toasted, chopped small)
- Powdered Sugar for garnish
Make the rugelach dough
- Combine the flour and salt in a food processor.
- Pulse a few times to mix.
- Add in the butter and cream cheese.
- Pulse about 10-12 times until the dough looks like small pea gravel.
- Drizzle in the yolk and vanilla.
- Pulse 2 or 3 more times to combine.
- Remove dough to surface lightly dusted with sugar.
- Press into four equal disks being careful not to get the dough too warm.
- Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- You can store the dough in the fridge for a few days before using or in the freezer for a month.
Roll the rugelach
- When ready to make cookies, roll one disk out on a powder-sugared surface to 1/8 inch thickness and in a circle.
- Microwave the hot pepper jelly and water for 30 seconds to loosen it up.
- Add the hot pepper jelly and chopped pistachios to the surface, much like a pizza.
- Cut the circle into wedges making 16.
- Roll each wedge, starting from the wide side, much like a crescent roll.
Bake the cookies
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the pan half-way through.
- Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing.
- When cool, dust with powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week, if they last that long.